Sunday, May 8, 2011

Spiti Round Two!

I'm heading back to Spiti this summer, following roughly the same route to the same place as in 2009.

I'll be in India for a month (May 9th-June 14th) after which I'll head to Nepal for two months to study Tibetan at the Rangjung Yeshe Institute in Kathmandu. My original plan had been to spend the month traveling around, visiting different monasteries in Zangskar, Ladakh, Lahaul, and Spiti. However, it looks like I'll be spending most of the time just hanging out in Spiti.

The plan was to meet up with a friend in Delhi, take a bus to Manali, trek into Zangskar, go from Zangskar to Ladakh, and then from Ladakh head south to Spiti before going back to Delhi and catching a flight to Nepal. Unfortunately, the weather has been particularly bad this year and many of the mountain passes are opening late. The route my friend wants to take into Zangskar is still largely snowed over and bitter cold. She's still intent on going through with it, but I think we'll have to part ways in Manali where I'll instead head to Spiti for the duration. Either way, I'll keep this updated as much as possible and let you all know where I end up!

No comments:

Post a Comment